[daip] need a help with AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri May 30 10:50:31 EDT 2008

Vladimir Shoutenkov wrote:
> Dear Dr. Greisen,
>
> will you be so kind to help me. I took the data from VLA archive and
> don't know how these data could be read by AIPS.
>
> I've got two sets of files with names like:
> AA45_1
> AA45_XX850606.xp1
>
> I tried to run FILLM:
>
>> task 'fillm'
>> infil 'AA45_1'
>> vlaobs 'aa45'
>> inp
> AIPS 1: FILLM     Task to read a VLA archive tape
> AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
> AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
> AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape drive number
> AIPS 1: INFILE     'AA45_1'                Non-blank: disk file name
> AIPS 1: NFILES        0                    Number of files to advance
> AIPS 1:                                    Also applies to ON-LINE!
> AIPS 1: BAND       ' '                     Freq. band:
> AIPS 1:                                      (4,P,L,S,C,X,U,K,A,Q)
> AIPS 1: QUAL         -1                    Source qualifier -1=>all
> AIPS 1: CALCODE    ' '                     Calibrator code
> AIPS 1: VLAOBS     'AA45'                  VLA obs. pgm. name ('AZ99')
> AIPS 1: VLAMODE    ' '                     VLA obs. mode ('  '=any)
> AIPS 1: REFDATE    ' '                     Reference date. 'yyyymmdd'
> AIPS 1: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Timerange selected
> AIPS 1: BCHAN         1                    First spectral channel
> AIPS 1: ECHAN         0                    Highest spectral channel
> AIPS 1: OUTNAME    ' '                     Output UV file name (name)
> AIPS 1: OUTSEQ        0                    Output UV file name (seq. #)
> AIPS 1: OUTDISK       1                    Output UV file disk unit #.
> AIPS 1: DOUVCOMP      1                    1 (T) => compressed data
> AIPS 1: DOCONCAT     -1                    1 (T) => append data to old
> AIPS 1:                                    files
> AIPS 1: NCOUNT        0                    Number of files to read
> AIPS 1: DOWEIGHT      1                    Use nominal sensitivity to
> AIPS 1:                                    scale weights?
> AIPS 1:                                    = 10, use Memo 108 weights
> AIPS 1: DOACOR       -1                    Load autocorrelation data?
> AIPS 1: CPARM      *all 0                  User options.
> AIPS 1:                                    1 => Avg. time (seconds)
> AIPS 1:                                    2 => bitmap    (see help)
> AIPS 1:                                         = 16 for planets & Sun
> AIPS 1:                                    3 => Max. OK IF status
> AIPS 1:                                         <=3 => 3
> AIPS 1:                                    4 => Control dropping of
> AIPS 1:                                         shadowed data
> AIPS 1:                                         < 0 => no shadow check
> [...]

Leave the 1 off the INFILE - I know that this is confusing when you
have only 1 file but often VLA data come in many files e.g. XXX3, XXX4,
XXX5 and so FILLM appends a "file number" to the character string that
you provide in INFILE.  I believe that the help file says this, but I
understand (we have a Russian in our group) that the two languages
differ and so understanding is not always what one would like.