[daip] questions regarding prtan and imagr

Hiroko Shinnaga shinnaga at caltech.edu
Fri May 9 20:22:00 EDT 2008

Dear AIPS experts,

   I'm Hiroko Shinnaga, a staff scientist at the Caltech Submillimeter
Observatory.  I have two general questions regarding tasks of PRTAN
and IMAGR.

Q1.   I'm dealing with some interferometric data that contains
10 antennas in total.  I first create FITS file using a calibration tool
called MIR (IDL base) and generated a FITS file.  Then I read the
FITS file to AIPS.  When I inspect the data using the task "UVPLT"
for example, it looks like it contains all data of all baselines.
However,
when I use the "PRTAN", I see only information of 8 antennas.  From
the output of "PRTAN", it seems the antenna table seemed to not be
transfered properly.  Could you let me know what kind of effect I
should expect if I don't have a correct antenna table?

Q2.  When I tried to process the above image with IMAGR, I found
I was able to make sensible image only when I use UVWTFN = ' '
(uniform weighting).  Does this indicate that something may be
wrong for the table that contains weighting information of each antenna?

   Hope to hear from you.  Thanks very much.

Hiroko