[daip] AIPS crash during IMAGR: now lots of problems!

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon May 5 15:55:28 EDT 2008

Katie Chynoweth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was running IMAGR, and my computer crashed. Now, when I try to do
> anything in AIPS, I get many error messages. For instance, when I try
> to grab an image:
>
>  >getn 37
>   ZMSGDK: OPER = READ LUN = 12 NREC =      883
>   ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 903169 THRU = 904192 BEYOND EOF = 876544
>   ZMSGER: IN ZFI2 ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> MSGWRT ERROR      3 AT WRIT
> AIPS 1: getn 37
>   ZMSGDK: OPER = READ LUN = 12 NREC =      883
>   ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 903169 THRU = 904192 BEYOND EOF = 876544
>   ZMSGER: IN ZFI2 ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> MSGWRT ERROR      3 AT WRIT
> AIPS 1: Got(1)   disk= 1  user=  34   type=MA   CLOUD1.1256.IIM001.1
>
> or, to bring up IMAGR:
>
>  >tget imagr
>   ZMSGDK: OPER = READ LUN = 12 NREC =      883
>   ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 903169 THRU = 904192 BEYOND EOF = 876544
>   ZMSGER: IN ZFI2 ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> MSGWRT ERROR      3 AT WRIT
> AIPS 1: tget imagr
>

> So they are all similar errors. I don't have any idea what is wrong!
> Mostly tasks are failing to run and spitting out many errors, any help
> would be very appreciated!

The MSGWRT errors are due to the header of that much used file being
messed up.  It contains the current max message number and routines need
that to add a new message at the end.  The easiest thing to do is to
exit AIPS, cd to the first data area, and rm MSDuuu000.uuu\; where uuu
is your user number in extended hexadecimal.

The start aips again and it will make a new MS file and that part of
your troubles should be over.  If other tasks then do not run, I will
need to see their symptoms.