[daip] problem because of xterm?

Patrick Palmer ppalmer at oskar.uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 6 10:55:58 EST 2008

Hi,

I am having a lot of trouble with xterms.  I am running Ubuntu (all the
most recent updates).  I use the gnome-terminal because it seems to work
mostly like xterms.  However when I try to run aips, the xterms that
should be started (TEK and the Message server) die with segmentation
faults.  By trying several times I can usually get the tek server to
work, but the message server seems to never work.  I don't know why this
is, and it has to be the fault of my xterm.  But, has anyone else ever
reported such a problem?

I can't find where the xterm's are started.  Otherwise I would try to
change them to gnome-terminals.  I looked in START_AIPS,
START_TVSERVERS, and aips.

Pat