[daip] Problem with AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 3 12:13:49 EST 2008

dbgob at brandeis.edu writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > While working with observation AO0105 (combined Aug 11/12 1991) data,
 > AIPS is acting VERY strangely. I combined the data outside of AIPS as
 > I always do ( cat FILE_1 FILE_2 > FILE_3 ) and then began to work with
 > the L Band data. The phase calibrator 0742+103 works just fine
 > throughout, but there are problems with my source of choice, 0740+38.
 > I first noted the problem when I could make a uvplt with about 30000
 > points but a vplot would say there was a degenerate scaling issue.
 > Upon looking into this and finding no such errors, I reset (restore 0)
 > and now the uvplt gives me 70000 points and still no vplot possible. I
 > decided to continue on regardless and try to work with the data. I go
 > through the procedure at the bottom of this message and after ever
 > task I run, I cannot view the uvplt of 0740+38 until I do a restore 0.
 > What is going on?!?!?!

I have not fully examined all that you sent - it really is hard to
follow.  I suggest examining each of the uv data sets to make sure
that the data you expect are really there.  In particular, each
reference to 0740+38 seems to have trouble.  Your uvplt trouble comes
from saying GAINUSE 3 when CLCAL could not manage to make anything for
CL table 3, presumably because you said source='0740+38','' before
running it.  Use LISTR with SCAN to examine the data and perhaps even
prtuv to see what is there.  When a task does not work examine its
inputs - e.g. gainuse=3 may be calling for an empty cal table which
will produce an empty output uv file.