[daip] AIPS woes with new MAC OS version.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 30 11:24:49 EDT 2008

R. Craig Walker wrote:

> XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 2294 height 922,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument

There are new instructions for setting the max screen size - there is a
new file name for the information etc.  Mac cannot make a decision.

> Another problem:  In either single screen mode or multi-screen mode (so
> probably not related to screens), the tek server is not working.  There is
> nothing odd looking in the startup messages that I've spotted, just a note
> that it started.  But the icon that indicates the server is running goes
> away after a few seconds and if I try to run tkpl, I get:
>
> localh> TKPL 1: Task TKPL   (release of 31DEC08) begins
> localh> TKPL 1: Type Return after Plot is finished to continue
> localh> TKPL 1: ZTKOPN: TEKTRONIX DEVICE TKDEV01:                 NOT FOUND
> localh> TKPL 1: TEKTRONIX OPEN ERROR
> localh> TKPL 1: Appears to have ended successfully

Copy $SYSUNIX/XASERVERS and UNIXSERVERS to $SYSLOCAL.  Remove the
comment (#) symbol from the 2 lines in each which have the string -hold
and then start things up.  The xterms will not go away when they die
allowing you to read the error messages.  It usually has to do with the
library paths.