[daip] AIPS woes with new MAC OS version.

R. Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Sun Jun 29 22:39:23 EDT 2008

I recently had OSX 10.5.3 installed on my Powerbook G4 system.  AIPS is
basically working but there are some rough edges that should probably be
understood.  I'm not sure if the difficulties are with AIPS or OSX so I am
sending this to both mail groups.

I like to work in a dual screen mode where I drive a large LCD configured
to supplement the laptop screen.  This used to work under OSX 10.3.9.  Now
when I do so, XAS will not start, giving the following messages (it works
fine in single screen mode):

XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 2294 height 922,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument

Those width and height numbers are about right for the current dual screen
configuration - in fact they are larger in the preferred mode.

Note I am using Spaces - the new OSX virtual windowing system, and there
are clearly some issues in the interaction between Spaces and X11.  For
examples, I have to have the extra screen plugged in when I boot, or I
can't drag X11 windows very far onto the alternate screen.

I have used the dual screen system without significant problems
previously.  My virtual windowing system at the time was the shareware
program by CodeTek.  At first, AIPS needed to be taught that windows could
be that large, but that was fixed and surely hasn't changed.

---------

Another problem:  In either single screen mode or multi-screen mode (so
probably not related to screens), the tek server is not working.  There is
nothing odd looking in the startup messages that I've spotted, just a note
that it started.  But the icon that indicates the server is running goes
away after a few seconds and if I try to run tkpl, I get:

localh> TKPL 1: Task TKPL   (release of 31DEC08) begins
localh> TKPL 1: Type Return after Plot is finished to continue
localh> TKPL 1: ZTKOPN: TEKTRONIX DEVICE TKDEV01:                 NOT FOUND
localh> TKPL 1: TEKTRONIX OPEN ERROR
localh> TKPL 1: Appears to have ended successfully

Has something changed in the required setup?  I did muck with
/etc/services when I got the upgrade because it had been replaced.  Here
is what I put in:

#RCW adding AIPS services.
sssin           5000/tcp    # SSSIN
ssslock         5002/tcp    # SSSLOCK
msgserv         5008/tcp    # MSGSERV
tkserv          5009/tcp    # TEKSERV
#END OF AIPS services.  Had to comment out 5000,5002, 5008, 5009 below

I can live without the tekserver, but would rather not.  I can't live
without the TV, so the first problem means that I have to live with the
rather small 12" screen - a bit of a pain after getting used to being able
to use the much larger LCDs on my desks at home and at work under OSX
10.3.9.

Cheers,

Craig

    R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
    cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory Phone
505 835 7247        P. O. Box O
    Fax    505 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA