[daip] UVMOD/UVFIX question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 6 10:55:43 EDT 2008

Hanno Spreeuw wrote:
> Hello, I have a question about UVMOD. Suppose you are inserting a source
> in a dataset with an offset from the tangent point (set by FPOS).
> Would that be equivalent to shifting the dataset using UVFIX (with
> SHIFT<>0), inserting a source using UVMOD (with FPOS=0) and then do the
> inverse shift using UVFIX?
> If yes, would SHIFT=FPOS?

The one difference here is that UVFIX recomputes u,v,w which may make a
difference even without any position shift.  Reading the help files
certainly suggests that SHIFT=FPOS would produce the same results.  But
you can test this - although I do not see why you don't just use UVMOD.
View the code as experimental and try things.  In the old days,
computers had no disk and were verrrrrry slow.  Now, these things take
little time to test.  Add a big point source with UVMOD and then make an
image.  If that is as it should be, add the source you really want to add.

Oh - one other detail.  The shift parameters are defined with a cos(dec)
in them and so the inverse shift in UVFIX - if dec changes a lot - may
not have the same values exactly.