[daip] Fwd: Re: AIPS installation on Mac OS X 10.5.2

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 4 12:44:28 EDT 2008

Gianfranco Gentile wrote:
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> I tried putting 16777216 in /etc/sysctl.conf but what I understand is
> that the problem is that /etc/sysctl.conf is not being executed on start
> up.
> So if I do "sysctl kern.sysv" I still get:
>
> kern.sysv.shmall: 1024
> kern.sysv.shmseg: 8
> kern.sysv.shmmni: 32
> kern.sysv.shmmin: 1
> kern.sysv.shmmax: 4194304
> kern.sysv.semume: 10
> kern.sysv.semmsl: 87381
> kern.sysv.semmnu: 87381
> kern.sysv.semmns: 87381
> kern.sysv.semmni: 87381
> kern.sysv: No such file or directory
>
> I.e., whatever value for kern.sysv.shmmax I put in /etc/sysctl.conf is
> not being read.

Amongst our advice was to change shmall to 4096 - have you tried that in
this file?  We have another user - who was aware of your e-mails - who
had this problem.  His system however did read the changed shmall but he
had made a typo in the shmmax parameter (so not power of 2) and so his
system ignored the shmmax.  Are you saying that you changed both and
neither are read?