[daip] Error installing AIPS

Joseph Gelfand jg168 at astro.physics.nyu.edu
Thu Jan 31 15:52:06 EST 2008

Hello,

 	I'm trying to install the 31DEC08 version of AIPS on a 64 bit
Linux computer, and ran into the following problem with trying to run
filaip:
Data disk assignments:
   (Using global default file /usr/local/yosi/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
DADEVS.PL error - no disks selected at all
This is a FATAL error and nothing in AIPS will work.

HELP!  No Defined data areas!  You can proceed now to run
program FILAIP, but you may see LOTS of complaints about
not being able to access the message file.  If you think
there should have been some data areas defined, please
check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*

The contents of /usr/local/yosi/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST are:
# DADEVS.LIST
# This is a DADEVS list file containing a list of AIPS data directories.
# Refer to $AIPS_ROOT/DADEVS.SH for more information.
-  /data1/jg168/AIPS
-  /data2/jg168/AIPS

I do not see a DADEVS.PL file anywhere is the AIPS directory, nor
DADEVS.SH file in the AIPS_ROOT directory.  If I run FILAIPS and POPSGN
with da=default after setting DA01 and DA02 to the correct values in
AIPSASSN.SH, it seems to work correct, but when I try to run AIPS I get
the following error message:

MSGserver: could not get msgserv service by name: Success
MSGserver: Check your /etc/services or NIS/YP map

In the message window before it disappears.  The error message from tvinit
is the following:

>tvinit
ZSSSL2: tcp/ssslock NOT A SERVICE
AIPS 1: ZSSSLK: ERROR   2 ON LOCK
AIPS 1: ON LOCK ERROR    6 FROM ZSSSLK
AIPS 1: YTVOPN: TV LOCK OPEN ERROR      6
AIPS 1: TV OPEN ERROR      6

I was wondering what might be the problem, and if the difficulty I had
with running FILAIP is related to that opening a TV window.  Thank you
very much -- Yosi