[daip] problems with (copied) AIPS upgrade

Susan Neff Susan.G.Neff at nasa.gov
Wed Jan 23 16:23:19 EST 2008

Hi Eric and/or DAIP,

I am stuck and hope I have a simple problem.  Apologies if this is
really basic.

Our firewall enforcers block our rsynch port, so the normal installation
doesn't work for machines behind the Goddard firewall.

So, I did the installation on my laptop, at home, over our home DSL
link.  I wanted to install the executables that you provide, to get the
faster performance.  I had a few false starts, but got it working once
I got the logical assignments / links / aliases sorted out.

My laptop is a Mac Powerbook G4, with PPC.  My desktop is a
Mac G5, also PPC.    They are running the same version of the same
OS.

I thought I could just copy the installation from the laptop to the G5,
change the disk names from  LOCALHOST_X  to their names on
the G5, and it would work.  Well, it sort of works, but I've apparently
missed something.  When I am in the top aips directory (AIPS_ROOT)
and type   "start_aips"  , it starts, asks about printers, talks about
disks and
tapes,  sees all my data, does help correctly etc., start the TV - so far
seems to work fine.

However, it doesn't know what to do if I say "aips", in that or any other
directory.  It says

tcsh: aips: Permission denied

which sounds like it's trying to read some protected file.

When I say  which  aips    it says   aips: command not found.

I'm guessing I have some logical path that I'm not getting set correctly,
but I am out of ideas for what it is.  I'm hoping this is something that
you can say "Aha - you just need to edit the ******** file to say

My apologies if this is documented somewhere - I have been trying to
find something like this in the documentation but haven't so far found
it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-s-