[daip] AIPS without rsync?

Kimberly Engle kae at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 14 10:54:41 EST 2008

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Eric Greisen wrote:

> Kimberly Engle writes:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >  	I'm a sysadm at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, and I
> > cannot get AIPS installed here because our ("misguided") network
> > people decided long ago that rsync was nasty and blocked it at
> > our firewall. (I pleaded with them over a year ago to unblock it
> > since ftp and cvs are both open, to no avail. I was able to get it
> > installed on that host because one of the network guys who has since
> > left GSFC temporarily opened the port for me for testing purposes.)
> >
> >  	So how can I get AIPS (binary version, not text) successfully
> > installed on desktops here without using rsync? Seems to me there's no
> > way around it at this point, considering the way the install.pl script
> > is written. I can send users home with instructions on how to get it
> > on their laptops, but it'd be nice to have a way for me to help them
> > get it installed here via a tarball that doesn't need rsync. BTW, in
> > this case and the last the installations were for Macs.
> >
> >  	This request is somewhat time-critical (the user wants AIPS
> > up and running before Wed 1/9), so any ideas or help would be most
> > appreciated.

Hi Eric and Wes,

> Your e-mail is dated the 11th so the 9th is hard to do.

 	Oops! My bad. I meant 1/16. Sorry! (I need to take some
calendar reading lessons.)

> I can write a DVD of 31DEC07 if you want which would have the binary
> load modules - the last time I did that was for someone in Algeria.  I
> guess GSFC is back in those non-technological days itself....

 	I guess there's no way to put all the binaries in an ftp tarball
instead of burning a DVD? I read the available tarball is only for text
mode.

 	GSFC is actually catching up technology-wise. But because GSFC
has had a history of incidents the security people are now ultra paranoid
and the firewall configuration exemplifies this. Rsync runs on a privileged
lower port (873) and so they block it both inbound and outbound unless people
submit waivers with good reason for it to be open. (My request was rejected.)

 	Wes, I asked around and svn port 3690 should be allowed if I
initiate the connection. Otherwise it's blocked.

> Which Mac are we talking about - recent Intel Macs or older PPC Macs.

 	This latest Mac is an older PPC Mac; my Mac and the Mac belonging to
my AIPS user from last year (who will surely want an upgrade at some point)
are Intel Macs.

Thank,
Kim

> Eric Greisen

Kimberly Anne Engle              | "Ooooh... there's so much I don't know
Code 660.2  Bldg. 21  Rm. 27     |  about astrophysics! I wish I read that
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center |  book by that wheelchair guy."  -HJS
phone: (301)286-3016             | email: kae at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
fax: (301)286-1753               | www: http://universe.gsfc.nasa.gov/~kae