[daip] AIPS without rsync?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sun Jan 13 17:44:12 EST 2008

Kimberly Engle writes:

 > Hi,
 >
 >  	I'm a sysadm at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, and I
 > cannot get AIPS installed here because our ("misguided") network
 > people decided long ago that rsync was nasty and blocked it at
 > our firewall. (I pleaded with them over a year ago to unblock it
 > since ftp and cvs are both open, to no avail. I was able to get it
 > installed on that host because one of the network guys who has since
 > left GSFC temporarily opened the port for me for testing purposes.)
 >
 >  	So how can I get AIPS (binary version, not text) successfully
 > installed on desktops here without using rsync? Seems to me there's no
 > way around it at this point, considering the way the install.pl script
 > is written. I can send users home with instructions on how to get it
 > on their laptops, but it'd be nice to have a way for me to help them
 > get it installed here via a tarball that doesn't need rsync. BTW, in
 > this case and the last the installations were for Macs.
 >
 >  	This request is somewhat time-critical (the user wants AIPS
 > up and running before Wed 1/9), so any ideas or help would be most
 > appreciated.

Your e-mail is dated the 11th so the 9th is hard to do.

I can write a DVD of 31DEC07 if you want which would have the binary
load modules - the last time I did that was for someone in Algeria.  I
guess GSFC is back in those non-technological days itself....

Which Mac are we talking about - recent Intel Macs or older PPC Macs.