[daip] AIPS installation

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Sat Jan 12 10:34:42 EST 2008

(tech removed from the CC: list; that's for network, not AIPS, problems).

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:54:32 +0100, "Sridharan Rengaswamy"
   <sridharan71 at gmail.com> said:

> START_AIPS: Checking if CHANDRAMA is reachable via ssh...
> START_AIPS: Cannot start remote TV servers on CHANDRAMA, sorry!
> START_AIPS: remote command gave this error:
> ssh: connect to host CHANDRAMA port 22: Connection refused

As with most Ubuntu installations (I run it on my laptop), sshd (the
secure shell daemon) is not enabled by default.  Normally one does not
need a ssh server on a laptop, though it's handy sometimes.  You can
check if it's installed by giving the "dpkg --status openssh-server",
and if so, whether it's enabled by "/usr/sbin/sysv-rc-conf --list ssh"
(if the output includes "2:on" it's enabled).

Eric and Wes are correct though in recommending you start with

    aips tv=local

as that's the most sensible option for (mostly standalone) laptops, and
does not require the ssh daemon to be running.

You can also start aips with:

   aips tv=local tpok

which bypasses the startup of the TPMON daemons altogether.

> debug1: connect to address 127.0.1.1 port 22: Connection refused

This shows clearly that the ssh server is not enabled.  Again, I really
doubt that you need it.

 - Pat (a former AIP, watching from the sidelines now).

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.     NRAO Webmaster, Computing Security Manager
 http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/          http://chien-noir.com/maze.shtml
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813