[daip] TY table entries associated with wrong data set.

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 9 19:53:47 EST 2008

It is VLBA only data.  And the time stamps are probably correct.  I
think the reason I'm seeing the problem is that I have 4 minute scans.
The Tsys measurements are for 2 minutes so 2 nominally just fit.  But it
looks like there is commonly a third measurement that gets flushed out
right at the end of the scan.  It is probably a very short integration
and has a time stamp very close to the scan end time.  In fact, it is so
close to the end time that it falls after the mean time of the last data
point - which is what INDXR uses for the scan end, even though half of
the last data point comes from data after that time.  Thus confusion,
and a real mess for me.  Clearly, in splitting up the file, no attention
is paid to the start time of the scan, or these particular records would
just go to the bit bucket.

It's amazing how much pain we've had over the years trying to get
calibration data associated with the right scan.  If from the start we
had put some sort of scan association in the data records - starting in
the antenna monitor data set, we could have avoided all this.  Is it too
late to think about getting this right in the future?  In any case,
perhaps INDXR should have something equivalent to ANTAB's OFFSET to push
the scan boundaries out by at least half the integration time so it
would encompass all of the time of the scan boundary records, not just
to the mean times.  Of course, there is also the issue of how to deal
with the EVN style calibration data that is intentionally measured
outside the actual scan time.  Is that still done with OFFSET?

Cheers,

Craig

Lorant Sjouwerman wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Craig Walker wrote:
>

> #Anyway, this would really screw up my calibration so I'm going to go with the
> #data loaded from the TSM file.  But some sort of tolerance or something needs
> #to be built into calibration transfer.
>
> If this is vlba only data, then the tsys entries come directly from the
> correlator jobs, ie from the monitor data, and unless FITLD changes time
> stamps, this needs to be addressed in correlator software - nothing that
> the preprocessing is doing with the time stamps or the OFFSET parameter
>

> Regards,
>
> Loránt Sjouwerman - Scientific Services - lsjouwerman at nrao.edu
> c/o NRAO Array Operations Center       Phone:  +1-575-835-7332
>     P.O. Box 0 (1003 Lopezville Rd)    Switch: +1-575-835-7000
>     Socorro NM 87801                   Fax:    +1-575-835-7027
> PS: Please note that NRAO's telephone area code has changed to 575.

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  505 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    505 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA