[daip] VLBAUTIL vlbapcor procedure

Yuri Y. Kovalev ykovalev at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Tue Jan 8 04:06:07 EST 2008

Dear Amy,

I have used not the current AIPS but the frozen 31DEC07.
I was reducing the experiment BP125A.
This is a K-band survey which has short (~100 sec) scans on many
sources, two scans per target, one-two-three scans per (tropospheric)
calibrator. The two scans on every target are separate by hours. It is
obvious that in this case, if a phase-cal measurement did not happen
during the short scan on a given target, the 'self' interpolation could
result in a problem.

It is very unusual and strange that phase-cals depend on sources. Phase
cals are a measure of the telescope instrumental delay, should not depend
on a source to the first order. That is why I would expect the default
interpolation in the vlbapcor procedure to be '2pt'.
I guess the user DID had to use tasks PCCOR and CLCAL directly not
affecting the sort-of-standard procedure in the VLBAUTIL vlbapcor.

If you keep 'self' interpolation in vlbapcor, I will just not use this
procedure in the future any more. That is fine with me.
My worry would be other users who are at a potential danger by using
this kind of interpolation in vlbapcor.

Cheers,
Yuri.