[daip] [Fwd: AIPS vnc error message]

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 25 13:40:19 EST 2008

Glen Langston writes:
 > Hi Eric,

 Had you sent this to daip you would have had an answer sooner - I was
on vacation.

 > A student at Vanderbilt U. was here last summer
 > and used AIPS to do some GBT imaging work.  She's
 > trying to finish up some final details of our paper
 > and then move on to some VLA archive work.
 >
 > She's using a computer in GB planck.gb.nrao.edu
 > with AIPS and uses VNC on her home computer.   All
 > is working OK, except the AIPS TV which is yielding
 > an error messages (below)
 >
 > Any suggestions?
 >
 > Thanks
 >
 > Glen
 >
 > PS did NRAO ever get a loaner laptop with AIPS on it for
 > short term use by visitors?

   That would be a site issue - the loaners here are for staff use
only and may have an aips on them although I would not expect a
current version.

 > Subject: AIPS vnc error message
 > From:    "Katie Mae Chynoweth" <kchynowe at nrao.edu>
 > Date:    Thu, February 21, 2008 7:05 pm
 > To:      glangsto at nrao.edu
 >
 > Hi Glen,
 >
 > I tried using AIPS from radar instead of planck, and I also tried the
 > 'xhost +' command, and I still get this error:
 >
 > Starting up 31DEC05 AIPS with normal priority
 > XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on radar
 > TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
 > XASERVERS: Start XAS on radar, DISPLAY :1.0
 > XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on radar, DISPLAY :1.0
 > XAS: **  No TrueColor found
 > XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
 > XAS: No pseudocolor visual - No suitable visual: No such file or directory
 > XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on radar, DISPLAY :1.0

Please see the aips manager FAQ page for info on dealing with this.
You have not changed the default X11 setup which is 16-bit "Truecolor"
for which I refuse to modify AIPS (levels 0-31 for grey scales!)

http://www.aips.nrao.edu/aipsmgr/