[daip] CLCAL: interpolation over blanked values

Olaf Wucknitz wucknitz at astro.uni-bonn.de
Fri Feb 22 09:42:54 EST 2008

Hello,

I am (not for the first time) having problems when interpolating or
extrapolating calibration solutions from a calibrator to target sources.
Interpolation can of course only be done between good solutions. The
problem occurs if there are blanked solutions at either end of the scan.
In such a case CLCAL should neglect these values and instead interpolate
between the next good values, but this is not the case.
This seems to be true for interpolation and extrapolation.

A typical example is the extrapolation from the last calibrator scan to a
target scan starting directly after it. If the last values of the
calibrator are blanked, no solutions are extrapolated.

Currently I am smoothing the solutions a bit (with DOBLANK=0), which
unblanks most (but not all) of the bad values.

My current workaround is to call SNSMO before CLCAL and do the wanted
smoothing (DOBLANK=0) there. After that I call CLCAL with DOBLANK=1 and
extended smoothing to unblank all values. This seems to work, but a better
solution would be to fix CLCAL so that its interpolation interprets
blanked solutions in the same way as non-existing entries.

I remember having related problems with blanked solutions in SNSMO in
July 2003 when the phase wrap was handled incorrectly around
blanked solutions. That was corrected by Eric (11363. July 30, 2003).

Cheers,
Olaf