[daip] dftpl

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 8 18:55:46 EST 2008

Andreas Brunthaler wrote:

> Just for clarification: DFTPL just takes bparm(2) seconds of a scan,
> regardless of how much data is in this time period? So one could have
> e.g. 2.9 seconds of no data and 0.1 seconds of data after an observing
> gap? And when does the integration time start? Always at the last start
> of a scan?

This is a constant issue in all averaging tasks.  In this case, DFTPL is
attempting to make a regular grid in the time axis.  If you ask for
10-sec averaging - the first bin is
     t1 + 0  ->  t1 + 10
second bin
     t1 + 10 ->  t1 + 20
etc.  Whatever data fall in a bin are plotted at the average of the
times that limit that bin.  I could think of better algorithms that
would make an irregular axis but that would involve a rewrite of the
code which may or may not be justified.