[daip] FITS IDI Format new document

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 14 10:32:21 EDT 2008

The FITS Interferometry Data Interchange "Format" was first proposed in
a Memo by Diamond et al. in 1997.  Chris Flatters wrote AIPS Memo 102 in
late 1998 to codify the proposal in more detail including changes
brought about by the actual implementation in the VLBA Correlator.

But Chris' document was left to us only in a fancy-looking PostScript
document, with no supporting text document that could be corrected and
enhanced!  So I have transcribed Memo 102 (without the elegant
formatting), updated some stuff, corrected obvious errors, and added 4
more tables, 2 of which are actually in use.

This draft should be reviewed by interested parties, so I attach the
Memo 102 and my new memo draft.  The latter uses red color to highlight
most of the changes I have made, so, if you print it, use a color
printer (e.g. aoc352c/dup here).  The red color is hard to read when
printed on a B&W printer.

Can you think of people in the outside community who should see these?
If so, send me their e-mail addresses.  Eventually, this draft will get
submitted to the IAU FITS Committee for review as a "convention".

Thanks,

Eric