[daip] AIPS installation problem:First Tek and Message Servers not working (Ubuntu) , Then Totally Link Error

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 13 10:41:24 EDT 2008

Zhixiong Liang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install AIPS (31DEC08) on my linux pc (Ubuntu 8.04,DELL inspiron 1420),and I have installed
>  all the needed compiler,when I installed AIPS for the first time,several linking problems occoured,which
>
> caused Tek and Message Servers' not working.
> Then I deleted all the AIPS archives,and installed AIPS for the second time.But more linking errors occoured:

> LINK      :            /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/LIBR/GNU/libreadline.a \
>
> LINK      :            -lncurses \
> LINK      :             -s \
>
> LINK      :            -o /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.EXE
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
>
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> LINK      : Status from /usr/bin/g77 is 1
>
> LINK      : Link of    /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.o
> LINK      : dies from wimpy compiler
>
> LINK      : Dies of unnatural causes.
> COMLNK    : Link failed!
> COMLNK    : Deleted    /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.o
>
> COMLNK    : Deleted    /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.f
> COMLNK    : Dies of unnatural causes
>
> INSTEP4    : Failure in $AIPPGM/...
> INSTEP4    : compiling/linking.
>
> INSTEP4    : Dies of unnatural causes at Wed Aug 13 18:23:17 CST 2008
> AipsWiz: Error: INSTEP4 failed, no point in proceeding.
>
> AipsWiz: Error: Look in /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/INSTALL to see
> AipsWiz: Error: if you can figure out what went wrong.  There are
>
> AipsWiz: Error: many log and list files there.  You may want to do
>
> grep -v ^- *.LIS
>

> AipsWiz: Error: to see what modules did not compile or link.
>

> AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
> AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.
>

> I can't figure out what goes wrong,Will you please suggest a get around ?
> Thanks,
>
> -Liang

The ncurses  developers' RPC must be installed if you insist on
compiling your own version of AIPS.  That is necessary ONLY if you are
developing your own AIPS tasks.   We greatly recommend not compiling
your own but using the binary version of linux from the Intel compiler.
  It is up to 40-50% faster than the binaries compiled by g77.

Do

perl install.pl -n

and insist that you want a binary version.  It might be simpler to clear
the installation away again and at least edit the .AIPSRC file in your
home area (or delete it).