[daip] AIPS installation problem:First Tek and Message Servers not working (Ubuntu) , Then Totally Link Error

Zhixiong Liang astrobear2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 07:14:13 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am trying to install AIPS (31DEC08) on my linux pc (Ubuntu 8.04,DELL
inspiron 1420),and I have installed
 all the needed compiler,when I installed AIPS for the first
time,several linking problems occoured,which
caused Tek and Message Servers' not working.
Then I deleted all the AIPS archives,and installed AIPS for the second
time.But more linking errors occoured:
LINK      :            /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/LIBR/GNU/libreadline.a \
LINK      :            -lncurses \
LINK      :             -s \
LINK      :            -o /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.EXE
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
LINK      : Status from /usr/bin/g77 is 1
LINK      : Link of    /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.o
LINK      : dies from wimpy compiler
LINK      : Dies of unnatural causes.
COMLNK    : Link failed!
COMLNK    : Deleted    /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.o
COMLNK    : Deleted    /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.f
COMLNK    : Dies of unnatural causes
INSTEP4    : Failure in $AIPPGM/...
INSTEP4    : compiling/linking.
INSTEP4    : Dies of unnatural causes at Wed Aug 13 18:23:17 CST 2008
AipsWiz: Error: INSTEP4 failed, no point in proceeding.
AipsWiz: Error: Look in /data/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/INSTALL to see
AipsWiz: Error: if you can figure out what went wrong.  There are
AipsWiz: Error: many log and list files there.  You may want to do

grep -v ^- *.LIS

AipsWiz: Error: to see what modules did not compile or link.

AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.

I can't figure out what goes wrong,Will you please suggest a get around ?
Thanks,

-Liang