[daip] (no subject)

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 23 10:44:50 EDT 2008

aletdewitt at webmail.co.za wrote:
> We have aips running on one of the machines in our computer room . I would
> like to use aips from my own machine connected to the local server. I ssh
> to the machine and the account where aips was installed. Everything works
> fine except that I cannot display the tv. I have looked at your FAQ but
> cannot seem to solve the problem Can you please help or make any
> suggestions ?

First suggestion - please put a subject in the subject line.  I am
receiving mail bombs today - 4 or 5 per minute - so you are lucky I
noticed yours as different and bothered to check the contents.

The usual way we solve this issue is to have AIPS be allowed to run on
every one's machines - then you can start aips on your machine with Inet
TV sockets and other machines can talk to them.  That is the most
efficient method since expose events on the window are handled at the
local desktop.

However, when you ssh in to the server, the $DISPLAY variable is
probably set to tunnel back to your desktop.  The command
       aips tv=local
should cause windows to appear on your desktop driven by daemons on the
server.

see help aips for more options related to this (e.g. multiple TVs).