[daip] Installation problems

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 18 11:34:54 EDT 2008

Atish Vyas wrote:
> I am a PostDoc in University of Amsterdam and a regular user of aips.
> I am trying to install '31DEC07.tar.gz' using 'install.pl' and I tried
> it several times but everytime it gives the same problem. I have listed
> the output in the file 'Install_Fail.dat' attached herewith. Could you
> please go through the file and help me resolve the problem ?
>
> I am using Linux system and gcc-4.1 compiler.

Looking at the output you sent:

Your C compiler cannot find the most elementary include files required
by most C subroutines and programs.  Since the fundamental tools of AIPS
system builds do not themselves build, I did not examine the rest of the
output since I would expect nothing else to work.

The AIPS web site states that 4.1.x is believed not to work on aips.

May I recommend the binary installation instead?  So long as you do not
plan local development of aips routines, this is both much easier to
install and will execute faster on Intel cpus than the load modules
produced by gfortran.

         perl install.pl -n

You may have to edit the file ~/.AIPSRC first to change the parameter
INSTALL_FROM_NET = NO
to YES.