[daip] Problem with WX tables in APCAL

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 11 15:08:05 EDT 2008

Alan Marscher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed the 31JAN08 version of AIPS on 12 March 2008. I am now trying
> to process a VLBA dataset read in with FITLD. When I went to run APCAL
> with DOFIT=1, it failed, with an error message stating that the WX table
> couldn't be read and may be corrupt.
>
> I see that this error was patched in FITLD in the 31DEC07 version. So, I
> ran the midnight job, in case this would apply a similar patch to the
> 31JAN08 version, and I read in the data again with FITLD. But APCAL still
> fails. I even used TBOUT and cut and paste the numerical tables in the WX
> table into a WX table from a previous dataset, in case the corruption was
> in the file header. But APCAL still failed.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice you can give me to solve this problem.

It is not necessary to send multiple copies of your queries.

The issue is which format of data are you reading.  There are two: raw
correlator format for which the FITLD error fix will work and the
slightly processed format written to the archive after being read by
FITLD and written by FITAB.  There was a period of time in which a
defective FITLD was used and so the latter format is corrupt.  I have
suggested that the archive be corrected but no one has undertaken that
effort.  Get the raw format data from the archive and then the corrected
FITLD will produce a WX table that is not corrupt.