[daip] AIPS problem

Jose Afonso jafonso at oal.ul.pt
Fri Sep 28 13:39:55 EDT 2007

Dear daip (eric?),
every so often I come back with an aips problem. This time it concerns
the instalation of aips in a machine which is accessed remotely (via ssh
-X and using aips tv=local). It all seems to work fine, windows are
opened and all that, but the communication to the TV is not working. I
have read through the aips pages and previous aips lists, and I get the
following:

the error displayed, after a spflg command for example, is:

alfa01> SPFLG1: ZSSSLK: ERROR   1 ON LOCK
alfa01> SPFLG1: ON LOCK ERROR    6 FROM ZSSSLK
alfa01> SPFLG1: YTVOPN: TV LOCK OPEN ERROR      6
alfa01> SPFLG1: TV OPEN ERROR      6
alfa01> SPFLG1: CANNOT OPEN THE TV DEVICE: ERROR    6

if I launch an "tvinit" command (I read something about this somewhere
on the aips pages):

ZSSSL2 connect (UNIX): Permission denied
AIPS 1: ZSSSLK: ERROR   1 ON LOCK
AIPS 1: ON LOCK ERROR    6 FROM ZSSSLK
AIPS 1: YTVOPN: TV LOCK OPEN ERROR      6
AIPS 1: TV OPEN ERROR      6

I thought this may be due to the deamons working on this machine, and
actually it seems to be the case:

[jafonso at alfa01 ~]$ /etc/init.d/nfslock status
rpc.statd (pid  19246) is running...
[jafonso at alfa01 ~]$  /etc/init.d/nfs status
rpc.mountd is stopped
nfsd is stopped
rpc.rquotad is stopped

however, my system manager assures me that these deamons are indeed
running, but I won't be able to check as I am just a normal user (just
root can see they are running).

So I am very puzzled now...

Do you have any idea (you usually do, fortunately) of what is going on?
It must have to do with the remote (ssh) connection, but I cannot sit at
the console of this computer easily to check (it sits in a secure office
in our department, although we are not affiliated with any military
institution...).

any help would be greatly appreciated, as always.

thanks,
Jose

--

Jose Manuel Afonso