[daip] Fwd: xterm?

Howard Powell hbp4c at virginia.edu
Fri Sep 7 15:31:52 EDT 2007

Greetings -

I've recently deployed the latest fedora 7 OS to all of the linux
workstations in my department network here at UVa astronomy.
Previously we were running Fedora 5 and had no problems with our AIPS
31DEC05 installation.  After the upgrade, I'm getting reports that
xterms do not properly show up when AIPS is starting.

It looks like AIPS thinks it's starting the xterms properly, and we
see a flash on the screen like it draws one frame then disappears.
I've replicated the problem myself and I can't seem to find them off
the screen or minimized anywhere.

We're running a mostly stock version of Fedora 7 as far as how xterm
and the X server is set up.  We are running the closed source nVidia
drivers on the linux workstations.  In the message below from Kelsey,
there's a warning about missing fonts, but I've corrected that and
the problem persists.

Any ideas?  Hopefully this is something simple...

Thanks!
Howard

Begin forwarded message:

--

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake
     Napoleon Bonaparte

Howard Powell
Computer Support Technician
Astronomy Department, UVa