[daip] AIPS help

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 6 16:32:17 EDT 2007

Matthew John Merlo writes:
 > Hello
 >
 > I am trying to run AIPS remotely and am encountering problems.  The
 > machine I am working on does not have AIPS, so I am sshing to another
 > machine that has it.  When I try to run aips it gives me the following
 > errors:

    You have presumably given a simple command "aips"  or START_AIPS
to try to start aips.  This command says find my computer if you can
and run the versions of the aips daemon processes that are local to my
computer.  This has failed because you do not have privilege to talk
to your computer via ssh under the simple name vader and would have
failed anyway becaue you do not have aips on your computer.  You can
instead tell aips to run the daemons locally on the aips compute
server and only display the daemon windows on your machine.  This has
advantages - it may well work - and disadvantages - expose and other
events require transmission of lots of data between the 2 computers.

   Try

           aips tv=local

and consult the CookBook chapter 2 or the aips man page or (inside
aips) help aips for further information.

Eric Greisen