[daip] aips on linux/amd64, multihost site

Vincent.McIntyre at csiro.au Vincent.McIntyre at csiro.au
Wed Oct 31 17:29:17 EDT 2007

Hi Eric,

thanks for the swift reply.

> > 1. Is it a supported configuration to run linux i386 binaries on amd64?
> >     I'm expecting "no" but thought I should ask to be sure.
>
>        Actually this works fine.

Great!

> > 3. While I was looking into this I noticed there was no simple listing
> >     of "supported architectures" on the website[1] aside from [2] which
> >     doesn't mention amd64.
> >     Is it worth reworking [2] as a bullet-list (derived from install.pl)?
> >     It might be better to break that list out into a separate file (eg [3])
> >     and just linking to it from the current release info file (ie [2]).
> >

> I don't really view the AMD64 as separate.  The Linux binaries that we
> ship are linked/optimized for 3 architectures and run faster on
> amd64's than the older GNU executables even when built for the 64-bit

Ah, but people coming to get the package may view it as separate,
particularly when their linux distribution emphasises the differences
between amd64 and i386 by providing complete sets of binaries for each.
That's what prompted the question; it was unclear from just the
information on the web pages if amd64 was supported.
Ditto for, say, linux on sparc.

> site and use our binary install.  I suppose that curtails local AIPS
> software development, but do you still do that?  I know you once did,
> but we have worked to reduce the need for that I thought to zero -
> unless you have new/different tasks not ported to us.

We still need to build ATLOD, that's the only outstanding task I am
aware of. Also some local users have written their own versions of
tasks that they need to build. So we will probably continue building
our own binaries.

Thanks again
Vince