[daip] VLA A-array FITS and ps files - AL218 Snapshot Survey (Texas Survey Sources) (fwd)

Ray Lucas lucas at stsci.edu
Wed Oct 31 12:17:17 EDT 2007

Hi,

Your email address was suggested to me as a place to ask some of these
questions.

I'm providing some reduced VLA A-array 20cm 1485MHz snapshots from
~1990 to the MAST Archive at STScI, and they had these comments on
the FITS header keywords, and they wondered a bit about the data
structures. I'm not so sure what to ask you about the latter, and
unless they say they have some problem with what I'm providing them
(they're just going to look into it), I guess I'm less concerned
about that at the moment. But if there is no problem with making
the changes they request with regard to the header keywords, I
plan to make those changes soon.

I would guess that since they are asking me to make these changes,
these things should be understood well enough so that they will
not pose any problem for most users, but I just wanted to run this
past you as well since this is radio data and you will likely know
better than anyone else if there will be any bad side effects from
this for people who usually use AIPS etc. instead of other software
like iraf/stsdas, etc. (Since many people using this multiple mission
archive (MAST) data will be using optical/uv/ir astronomy tools, and
that radio astronomers also use those same tools in addition to AIPS,
I imagine that these changes will probably pose no problems for anyone,
but just wanted to run it by you as well.)

See comments from STScI MAST folks below.

Thanks,
Ray Lucas