[daip] CONVL

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 31 10:36:18 EDT 2007

Crystal Brogan writes:

 > Other software packages like MIRIAD, CASA, kview cannot decode the
 > synthesized beam information from an image that has been convolved to a
 > different beam size in AIPS using CONVL. Evidently CONVL does not store
 > the beam information the same way that IMAGR does for example (the beam in
 > this case is understood by other software packages fine). This makes it
 > very difficult to do analysis in other packages on post-CONVL images.
 > Would it be possible to make CONVL write the beam info. the same way IMAGR
 > does?

But CONVL writes the header clean-beam in the same way as the other
tasks.  If you do an IMHEAD after CONVL you will see that it has
updated the information on convolution size.  The AIPS FITS writers
will then export that information in the same way.  There are 2 points
to consider: (1) Should CONVL do this because, unlike Clean, it is
smoothing the residual noise image as well as the Gaussian components?
(2) In any case, it does, sp perhaps there is some place else where
the beam is recorded in the history that casa etc use - I have no idea
about that and it is not my problem.

Note - if you really just want to change the Clean beam size, use the
task CCRES.

Eric