[daip] AIPS (Classic) Refuses to start on my laptop.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 30 11:30:39 EDT 2007

Rodrigo Parra writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I just finished installing AIPS on a desktop and a laptop (Debian and
 > Ubuntu respectively).
 >
 > I have AIPS up and running on the desktop. However, in the laptop, even
 > after trying several tricks, I keep on getting the following error and
 > AIPS refuses to start:
 >
 > SIGYN:~/AIPS> ./START_AIPS tv=sigyn:sigyn

 >   ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND

This is normal - start aips once and enter user 1 with password
AMANAGER and the MS file will be created.  Then RESTART to enter your
normal user number(s).

 > ZDCHI1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;          NOT FOUND
 >   ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
 >   ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)

This is already not normal - it appears that the directory
   $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/SIGYN
does not exist or does not contain the files expected or the files are
present but your login lacks write privilege on them.

 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > ?4321
 >   ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD3C1000.3C1;      NOT FOUND

This worries me also but may go away when the $DA00 issues are
resolved.

 > If I don't, and instead us only "START_AIPS" I get
 >
 >    (Using private file /home/rodrigo/.dadevs for DADEVS.PL)
 >     Disk 1 (1) is /home/rodrigo/AIPS/DATA/SIGYN_1
 >
 > START_AIPS: You do not seem to be at a workstation (TERM=rxvt)

You are not running in a known terminal type - what is an rxvt?
Are you on a Mac and have you started X first?  In that case you
should run aips out of the xterm that starts up.  Or run in an xterm
in any case.