[daip] FITAB, etc.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 14 15:42:08 EST 2007

Lynn D. Matthews writes:
 > I'm still having problems with tape I/O; in fact they seem to be getting
 > worse.
 >
 > PRTTP still skips certain files on the tape (the same ones as
 > previously).

    Nothing that I have done to PRTTP will affect the tape I/O.

 > I have PRTLEV set to -4 (which I thought is meant to do a quick listing of
 > the tape), but it seems to be reading each file (maybe it did that before
 > but the DLTs are so fast that I hardly noticed).
 >
 > The next issue is that last week when it got to the 20th file, the
 > messages said:
 >
 > 1    2   09-NOV-2007  10:39:50     PRTTP     Begin reading file    20
 > 1    2   09-NOV-2007  10:39:50     PRTTP     Reading binary tables for
 > UV data
 > 1    4   09-NOV-2007  11:18:30     PRTTP     This file: read 28142.982
 > Megabytes in10246547 logical records
 > 1    6   09-NOV-2007  11:18:30     PRTTP     Format not recognized:
 > retry the tape read
 >
 > which I couldn't understand. This file (a single-source SPLAT file) has
 > the same format as others on the tape. And how can it be larger and have
 > more logical records than the full multi-source file?

    No idea - good explanations would be differences in DOUVC.  Bad
explanations would include not recognizing ends-of-file.  Note that
PRTLEV=-4 actually does not read large files but does an advance file
over the data.  Try PRTLEV 0 or so and see if you get the same result

 > Today when the tape hit this file it just groaned for about 20 minutes
 > before I finally aborted PRTTP. I then tried writing this file to a new
 > tape with FITAB and reading it back with PRTTP and get the message:
 >
 > WREST > PRTTP1: Task PRTTP  (release of 31DEC07) begins
 > WREST > PRTTP1: ZTXOP2: using translated file name =
 > WREST > PRTTP1: ZTXOP2: /home/lmatthew/bg118/P/testlisting.out
 > WREST > PRTTP1: Begin reading file     1
 > WREST > PRTTP1: Reading binary tables for UV data
 > WREST > PRTTP1: ERROR      6 AFTER      1 RECORDS FOLLOWING THE DATA
 > WREST > PRTTP1: This file: read   677.162 Megabytes in  246547 logical
 > records
 > WREST > PRTTP1: Read at least    677.162 Megabytes in  246547 logical
 > records
 > WREST > PRTTP1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
 > WREST > PRTTP1: wrest        31DEC07 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=      43
 >
 > Lastly, I thought I understood from your message that the help file for
 > TPHEAD would now recommend the use of PRTTP since it doesn't work right
 > for uv files, but I didn't see where this was noted.

You misunderstood.  PRTTP should be able to handle files written by
FITAB.  TPHEAD does not read into the file far enough to have a chance
to understand them.  TPHEAD itself makes this recommendation - I did
not alter the help files.