[daip] AIPS on Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard)

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 9 10:42:07 EST 2007

Adam J. Mott writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I had AIPS working under Mac OS version 10.4 (Tiger), but I recently
 > upgraded to 10.5 (Leopard).  Are you aware of any special instructions for
 > running AIPS under the new version of Mac OS?
 >
 > I know I'm supposed to edit the /etc/services file and add the lines shown
 > on the AIPS Mac installation webpage.  But I also remember having to edit
 > the /etc/rc file to get the AIPS TV to work under Tiger.  Now with the new
 > Mac OS, the /etc/rc file is no longer there, but there is an /etc/rc.common
 > and /etc/rc.netboot.  I'm not sure which of these two files (if any) I
 > should edit.

OK, /etc/rc is gone and creating it will have no effect.  You need to
create an /etc/sysctl.conf file and put the values in it,

ldog:etc wyoung$ cat sysctl.conf
kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
kern.sysv.shmmin=1
kern.sysv.shmmni=32
kern.sysv.shmseg=8
kern.sysv.shmall=4096

You should use the values you had when you were running tiger.  Those
could be in /Previous\ System/etc/rc, assuming you have "Previous
System". So three different OS upgrades and three different ways to
adjust the default shared memory.

wes
wkyoungnm at mac.com

I have updated the Mac and aipsmgr FAQ pages.