[daip] aips question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 6 17:02:07 EST 2007

Jennifer Donovan writes:
 > Hi Eric,
 >
 > My name is Jen Donovan, and I'm a grad student at Columbia working with
 > Jacqueline van Gorkom. Maybe this is a straightforward question (I'm
 > hoping it is!) that you will know the answer: I am trying to combine two
 > uv data files with DBCON, but the frequency increases with channel
 > number in one cube and decreases with channel number in the other. How
 > can I switch one cube so that these will match?
 >
 > Thanks for your help --
 > Jen (and JvG)

I am a little confused by your nomenclature - normally "cube" is used
for images while DBCON is used for UV data.

If you are talking about UV data, then it would be good to know quite
what you are doing and what the UV data look like.  I think of
Jacqueline as doing spectral-line HI observing mostly whcih normally
does not call for DBCONing of unlike data sets - whcih is usually done
for multi-channel continuum observing.

I guess there are 2 questions.  (1) Is there an AIPS task that will
invert the spectral order of a UV data set correctly?  The answer is
no at present.  I wrote a task (FUDGE clone) called FLOPM which
reverses the order of a data set but leaves everything else unchanged
(to fix a recent error in the VLA on-line system).  It could be fixed
to also do what you need.  But (2) will this actually work with DBCON
to achieve what you need?  I will need info if you need my help with
#2.  I will work on FLOPM if you run 31DEC07 and update with the MNJ.