[daip] Problem with AIPS data directories

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon May 21 19:11:32 EDT 2007

Alex Adair writes:

 > AIPS has recently been installed on a Unix server at my workplace.  When
 > I try to run AIPS, I receive the following error message:
 > ***************************************
 >  (Using global default file /usr/local/aips++/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
 > DADEVS.PL)
 > Nested quantifiers in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^/usr/local/aips++
 > <-- HERE /DATA/KYUQUOT_1$/ at
 > /usr/local/aips++/31DEC07/SYSTEM/UNIX/DADEVS.PL line 143.

 > #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 > # This is a DADEVS list file containing a list of AIPS data directories.
 > # Refer to $AIPS_ROOT/DADEVS.SH for more information.
 > #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 > +  /usr/local/aips++/DATA/KYUQUOT_1
 >
 > I'm not sure why AIPS is not recognizing KYUQUOT_1 as an appropriate
 > data directory.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

The regular expression being used is failing on the ++ in your path.
Try making a link file (I usually use the $AIPS_ROOT/DATA directory to
hold link files names <host>_n or KYUQUOT_1 in your case) to the
actual directory name.  Of course if $AIPS_ROOT is /usr/local/aips++
this does not help - but then aips is not aips++ either.  (and aips++
is now casa)