[daip] Problem with AIPS data directories

Alex Adair alexander.adair at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri May 18 17:30:48 EDT 2007

Hello,

AIPS has recently been installed on a Unix server at my workplace.  When
I try to run AIPS, I receive the following error message:
***************************************
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
 (Using global default file /usr/local/aips++/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
Nested quantifiers in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^/usr/local/aips++
<-- HERE /DATA/KYUQUOT_1$/ at
/usr/local/aips++/31DEC07/SYSTEM/UNIX/DADEVS.PL line 143.
START_AIPS: Cannot start AIPS because there are no defined data areas!
START_AIPS: (check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*)

I checked the DADEVS.LIST file, which contained the following:
*************************************
# DADEVS.LIST
# This is a DADEVS list file containing a list of AIPS data directories.
# Refer to $AIPS_ROOT/DADEVS.SH for more information.
+  /usr/local/aips++/DATA/KYUQUOT_1

I'm not sure why AIPS is not recognizing KYUQUOT_1 as an appropriate
data directory.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Alex Adair
Research Assistant - National Research Council Herzberg Institute of
Astrophysics
Victoria, BC, Canada