[daip] AIPS Help

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon May 21 18:55:15 EDT 2007

Carver, David Christopher writes:

 > I am a student researcher at East Tennessee State University and am
 > trying to load AIPS onto several of our physics computers here.
 > However, I do not have a user ID and was wondering how to go about
 > getting one. It appears as though I have been able to install AIPS on
 > at least one of our computers, I just don't have a user ID to actually
 > run the program. <br>

The user number is a way to separate multiple users running on the
same machine.  If you have only one actual user on a given desktop,
then it really does not matter what user number he/she uses.  The
people here use more rthan 1 number in order to separate their
multiple projects.  User 1 is accorded special privleges and has a
password (AMANAGER by default).  User numbers from 2 to 36^3-1 are
acceptable.

If you come to the VLA, we will then assign you a number so that you
may be identified on our public machines, but on your own machine you
are whatever number(s) you want to be.