[daip] Disk problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri May 4 10:46:49 EDT 2007

Gordon Campbell writes:
 > Good morning, one of my users is having a problem with an install of
 > 31DEC05 AIPS and I cannot find the solution anywhere online.
 >

 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA02
 > AIPS 1: THIS MEANS THE TIMDEST LIMIT IS SET TO VALUE IN SP FILE OR 14.0
 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA03
 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA04
 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA05
 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA06
 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA07
 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA08
 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA09
 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA0A

This means that there are no entries for his disks in the file
$AIPS_ROOT/DA00/NETSP and only really has consequence if the verb
TIMDEST should be (accidentally) used.

 > ?TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on ratbert, DISPLAY localhost:10.0
 > XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on ratbert, display
 > localhost:10.0
 > XAS: Cannot use shared memory on remote XAS link
 > XAS: !!! Shared memory not selected !!!
 > XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 255
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on ratbert, display localhost:10.0

I guess the user's work station does not run aips so that the TV
displays cannot be on it - that is faster but this will work with a
high speed LAN.

 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > ?225
 > AIPS 1:                          31DEC05 AIPS:
 > AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Associated Universities, Inc.
 > AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
 > AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
 > AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
 > AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
 > AIPS 1: DISK ONE APPEARS TO BE READ-ONLY TO YOU: I QUIT
 > AIPS 1: CTLG PROBLEM
 > AIPS 1: TRACE: #    33 LEVS   1 NAMES AIPS
 > AIPS 1: ratbert      31DEC05 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0
 > AIPS 1: ZFIO: OPER = WRIT LUN = 13 NREC =     6479
 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 9 (Bad file descriptor)
 > AIPS 1: ACCOUNT: IO ERROR      3

The user is logged in to an account that does not have write
privilege to pre-existing files found there.  The file in the first
data area named "CAD000000.069;" (without the quotes) is the one that
is tested.  Some sort of open error (usually that open read-write
fails) occurred.  Data areas higher than the first may be read-only to
a user, but disk one is required to have write privilege.