[daip] AIPS Mosaic Sensitivity

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 29 12:19:34 EDT 2007

I have started to look at STESS.  The help file does not say this, but
all the images must be treated the way you would for VTESS, LTESS
etc.  In other words, you must create a geometry that you want and pad
a central image with PADIM to that geometry.  Then every other image
must be converted with HGEOM or OHGEO to a large image with suitably
placed data.  Then maybe the task will work.  I tried what you tried
and found that it "worked" for recent versions compiled with GNU but
aborted for 31DEC05 GNU and all versions Intel compiler.  Frankly,
LTESS and STESS should be removed but if I do that I will be accused
of breaking aips just because I don't care for Tim Cornwell (who
produced these tasks originally).  Note that VTESS/UTESS also have
this silly requirement about geometry.  They are tasks that have no
counterpart elsewhere in aips.

I will look at having FLATN do a noise image...