[daip] TV lock problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 14 15:39:49 EDT 2007

Look in your /etc/services file.  We usually insert in there

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer

Look to see if there is something else assigned to 5000.  If there is
you can change the assignment to some number that is not used - but
please let me know what was listed there.  All sorts of random people
- individuals clearly in some cases - are assigning themselves numbers
and the space is filling up.  I do not want us to have to go the inetd
route.  Simply changing the number will free the current impass - but
if there is some way that aips is not freeing the service, then it
will recur with the new number.  (I am assuming that you rebooted so
that there should not be some ghost aips process still running.)
Try exiting aips with KLEENEX - that is more graceful in closing XAS.
A kill -9 does not allow XAS to shit down gracefully freeing the
shared memory and other resources it has claimed.