[daip] TV lock problem

Kristine Spekkens spekkens at physics.rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 14 14:57:41 EDT 2007

Hello,

  I am running 31DEC07 AIPS on my Macbook Pro, and up until today I've had
no problems with it. When I started aips this morning, though, the TV
wouldn't come up (Tekserv and Msgserv are fine). I've included the output
on startup below. I think my problem lies in the message 'MakeLink: bind
error (INET): Address already in use': I haven't seen this before. I've
tried shutting down and re-starting and closing other open applications to
no avail.

  Since my last successful aips startup, I have installed 2 new
programs on my laptop (the gimp and an equation editor for powerpoint).
Could these be the cause of my new TV trouble? How do I figure out what is
using the address that the AIPS TV is looking for, and how do I get the TV
back?

  Any troubleshooting help you might have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kristine

--------------------------
START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC07 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC07) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width height 1430 800, max grey level 255
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
MakeLink: bind error (INET): Address already in use
TVSERVER told to shut down by XAS
XAS: Quitting NOW.
STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED

Kristine Spekkens
Jansky Fellow, NRAO/Rutgers University
http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~spekkens/