[daip] aips06

Hanno Spreeuw hspreeuw at science.uva.nl
Sun Jun 10 09:20:45 EDT 2007

Hello, I just installed aips06 on my laptop as binaries.
The  message and TeK servers will not start up. XAS does (after a second
launch, first I get a "MakeLink: bind error (INET): Address already in
use", see below).
So I followed the instructions on
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/aipsmgr/index.html.
I added
setenv AIPS_ROOT /home/hanno/aips06
source $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.CSH
to my ~/.env.csh. (I use cshell).
But that didn't work. It seems the message and TeK servers pop up but
disappear immediately.
To complicate things I also have aips04 installed as binaries on the same
machine, but in a different directory. Aips04 works fine including the
message and TeK servers.
So I can start up aips04 and then aips06 from another shell with "aips
tvok" and I can run aips06 with the message and TeK servers but surely
that is not the way it should be?

Any advice very much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Hanno Spreeuw.
PS: this is the output from starting up aips06
You have a choice of 6 printers.  These are:

    No. [ type  ] Description
     1. [       ]
     2. [       ]
     3. [       ]
     4. [       ]
     5. [     PS] WOONKAMER
     6. [       ]

START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]: 5
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the WOONKAMER
START_AIPS:  - system name 0.6.x, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /home/hanno/aips06/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/hanno/aips06/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
   Disk 2 (2) is /media/LACIE/aips06/LOCALHOST

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC06 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC06) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width height 1014 668, max grey level 255
MakeLink: bind error (INET): Address already in use
TVSERVER told to shut down by XAS
XAS: Quitting NOW.
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0

AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?100
AIPS 1:                          31DEC06 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2006 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit
>kleenex
AIPS 1: Begin check for any 'standard' scratch files
AIPS 1: Scratch files -- destroyed:    0  still active:    0
AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   1
AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   2
AIPS 1: User  100:   657 messages, oldest written 09-JUN-2007  15:30:40
AIPS 1: Deleted      0 messages
AIPS 1: Saved POPS environment in area named 'LASTEXIT'
ZSSSO2 connect (INET): Connection refused

AIPS 1: Session command-line history saved.
AIPS 1: localhost    31DEC06 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       2
[hanno at LOCALHOST ~]$ aips

?