[daip] AIPS not opening!

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jan 26 16:44:59 EST 2007

Anandmayee Tej writes:

 > 	This is my second mail. Yesterday I had problems with UVPLT but
 > now AIPS is not opening. When I start it is coming out with the
 > following error
 > 	TVDEVS.SH: No free socket slots left!

Oops.  How are you starting AIPS and how are you exiting it?  Are you
using local servers (e.g. aips tv=local) or Inet servers (aips with
nothing said about TV)?  Are you exiting, using KLEENEX, or doing
CTRL-C?  Are you killing the TV with a kill command or shutting it
down the way we suggest (e.g.  KLEENEX or Esc in the TV window).

It appears that your system has in some way used up sockets - a
message I have not seen before.  If you are using local TVs, check the
/tmp area for files of name XASn.xxx, TEKn.xxx, etc which are the unix
socket files.  I would think that our limit (35) would be less than
your system limit but you have also not said what system you are using
and what version of aips.

The slowness of sockets yesterday might be due to the approach of
this condition today.  In some way you have overloaded your machine.
A re-boot might help but check /tmp first do an ipcs command to see if
youare using up most of the shared memory.