[daip] problem with VLBACALA

Josh Winn jwinn at space.mit.edu
Tue Jan 9 17:12:19 EST 2007

Dear Designated AIP:

I'm having trouble calibrating the data for HSA project BW083A,
continuum imaging at 22 GHz of a gravitational lens, with the
VLBA+Y27+GBT.

I downloaded the data from the archive and read it into AIPS with
FITLD.  There were 36 files to read, and they were not named in
any obvious way, but eventually I figured out that 18 of them
corresponded to the first correlation pass, and 18 to the second
correlation pass.  I read in each group of 18 separately, to make
two different multi-source files.

Then I started with one of them, and ran VLBAFIX, which took several
hours
(much longer than usual), most of that time spent with MSORT.
Nevertheless the process seemed to go OK.

When I ran VLBACALA, ACCOR seemed to run OK but then
I got the following error message with APCAL:

localh> APCAL1: Task APCAL  (release of 31DEC06) begins
localh> APCAL1: Writing SN table  2
localh> APCAL1: GETGC: PARAMETER MAXVAL TOO SMALL: CONTACT AIPS ADMIN
localh> APCAL1: GCVAL: ERROR  3 LOADING GC TABLE
localh> APCAL1: AMPCAL: NO GAIN FOR ANT:   1 POL: 1 IF:    1
localh> APCAL1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes

I have attached the offending GC table.

Obviously this prevents me from proceeding with further
calibration.  Do you have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Josh Winn