[daip] problem on starting tv

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 27 16:17:09 EST 2007

Tingting Lu writes:

 >      I am a new user of Aips, and I have met some problem to start tv,
 > which may come from closing the tv window by accident last time.
 > Could you help me to have a look? I installed the software on my ibook G4.
 > Here are the error messages.

 > MakeLink: bind error (INET): Address already in use
 > TVSERVER told to shut down by XAS
 > XAS: Quitting NOW.

This message should disappear after some time.  Oddly enough, the
Posix standard allows operating systems to update their information
about fixed addresses being available/unavailable on a long time scale
(e.g. 5 minutes).  I see this a lot when I exit with KLEENEX and start
right back up, but it clears in at most 10 minutes.  If the message
has not cleared, perhaps there is still some remnant of the old XAS
hanging on to the address.  Do a ps -elf to take a look.  It is always
wise to close XAS gently - via the verb KLEENEX or hitting the Esc key
while the mouse is in the TV window.  Abrupt kill -9 operations do not
allow XAS to free shared memory and other things that its abort
handler attempts to manage.