[daip] problem with AIPS installation Macbook Pro (Intel Mac)

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 26 18:22:54 EST 2007

Goran Sandell writes:
 >    Hi,
 >
 >    I have had AIPS successfully running on my Mac PPC, but a week ago
 > I upgraded to a Mac Book Pro, i.e. an Intel Mac.
 >
 >    I installed the binary version following the instructions and
 > everything seemed to install correctly.
 > But, when I tried to start the tv I ran into problems. It does not work.
 >
 >     I am running Mac OS X, version 10.4.8. I have tried to start up
 > by just typing aips, or aips tv=local,
 > or as in the example below aips tv=local:0 tpok
 >
 >      This is what I get:
 >
 > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
 > START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on LOCALHOST
 > START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
 > START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets (new instance) as requested...
 > START_AIPS: Assuming TPMON daemons are running or not used (you said
 > TPOK)
 > Starting up 31DEC07 AIPS with normal priority
 > Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC07) at priority =   0
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on localhost
 > AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
 > ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
 > MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
 > ?UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY :0.0
 > XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > XAS: Using screen width height 1430 800, max grey level 255
 > Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0
 >
 >      The message server comes up ok, but no tek sever, nor tv.

    The tek server should be there (in icon form)

    The TV has a problem with the maximum shared memory segment:  From
the aips manager FAQ

If you see this on a Mac, congratulations; you have one of the larger
display screens. The default Mac system limits shared memory pages to
4 Mbytes. When XAS starts it tells you that it is making a screen x
pixels by y pixels. The memory you will need is at least  4 x y
bytes. For the new large screens this is more than 8 Mbytes. On 10.3
and 10.4 systems, you can change this limit by changing (as root or
admin) the rc file in /etc, adjusting the kern.sysv.shm* line to

         #Setting the shared memory to something a bit more reasonable.
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=4096

If you are really lucky and have a 30-inch screen (2550 by 1500
pixels) then you will have to make the shmmax line even larger

            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=16777216

On older Jaguar systems (X 10.2), you can change this limit by
changing the SystemTuning file in

            /System/Library/StartupItems/SystemTuning

Look for the lines

            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=4194304
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=1024

Change the 4194304 to 10485760 (for 10 Mbytes) and change the 1024 to
4096 (allows 16 Megabytes). You must then re-boot the computer to have
these changes take effect.

Cheers,

Eric Greisen