[daip] INSTEP4 link failed

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 6 17:05:37 EST 2007

José Manuel Pont Sarmiento writes:
 > Hi again :)
 >
 > I think you need this...

 > LINK      :            -o
 > ~/31DEC07/MACPPC/PREP/*.EXE
 > /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
 > restFP
 > saveFP
 > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
 > LINK      : Status from /sw/bin/g77 is 1
 > LINK      : Link of
 > ~/31DEC07/MACPPC/PREP/*.o
 > LINK      : dies from wimpy compiler
 > COMLNK    : Link failed!

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought we had seen the last of restFP and saveFP (restore and save
frame pointer) which are included in all routines compiled with the
gnu compiler of certain vintages but which are not supported by any
libraries provided with the PPC Macs.  Clearly you are linking with a
readline file that was compiled allowing these routines.  (AIPS
compilation procs specifically say no-frame-pointer and so only the
tasks that use readline failed.)  I do not know a solution to this
other than to somehow rebuild readline without the frame pointers.
See $SYSLOCAL/CCOPTS.SH for the exact grammar of the C compilation
command we use.

You did not answer my question about using the binary version instead.
Not only will that avoid this problem, but it will get you load
modules that are faster than the ones you have now.