[daip] help with UVLSF, please

Elias Brinks E.Brinks at herts.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 07:28:17 EST 2007

Hi Eric,

Do you mind if I pick your brain for a moment? The bigwigs in
charge have been less then helpful to LITTLE THINGS, the
large VLA project we got oodles of time on, with respect to
the aliasing problem and basically left us to our own devices.
I guess the excuse is that Michael Rupen is on the project so
he should take care of solving the problem.

All of our targets will be observed at either 1.5 MHz or 0.78 MHz
in straight 2AD mode (so no overlapping IFs). We should have
a good number of line-free channels on either side of the line
emission (with good I mean more than sufficient for an ORDER=1
UVLSF). The targets have virtually no continuum associated with
them, so I'd only expect the extragalactic 20cm sky to come in,
with the odd annoying bright background source somewhere in
the field.

This means that fitting an ORDER=4 continuum makes things
worse (as illustrated by the plots in yesterday's e-mail). I could
do a UVLSF with ORDER=0 based on the unaffected side of the
bandpass. This is not ideal as some continuum sources have a
spectral index which warrants them being removed with ORDER=1.

Another approach is to use UVLSF with order=1 on all
baselines except EVLA-EVLA and then do a UVLIN with
ORDER=0 on the unaffected side on the EVLA-EVLA.
Problem is, one isn't subtracting out the aliased continuum
which enters on EVLA-EVLA baselines.

I guess my real question is, how does this aliased emission get
imaged? Is the phase scrambled to such an extent that
it would just add "noise", albeit with some unpredictable
structure? So, should I just "live with it"?

Would you have any other suggestion on how to deal with it?

Thanks very much for any suggestions you might have.

Cheers,

Elias