[daip] Mac install 31DEC08: TV troubles

Michael Rupen mrupen at nrao.edu
Fri Dec 7 12:01:36 EST 2007

Hi DesAip,

   I did a binary install of AIPS 31DEC08 on my MacBook Pro laptop this
morning.  All seemed to go swimmingly -- my data are still there, AIPS
can ucat/mcat/do simple things, etc.  The one evil thing is that it
will not start a TV, giving the messages:

aips tst pr=1 tv=local:0
START_AIPS: Will start a new Unix Socket based TV
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the (no description supplied by
installer)
START_AIPS:  - system name psnet/dup, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
   (Using global default file /Users/Shared/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
    Disk 1 (1) is /Users/Shared/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_2
    Disk 2 (2) is /Users/Shared/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
    Tape 1 is REMOTE
    Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets (new instance) as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC08 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC08) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   4
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   4
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV2 on localhost
Trying to make hard link in /Users/Shared/AIPS/31DEC08/MACINT/LOAD to
TVSERV.EXE
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS2 on localhost, DISPLAY :0
Trying to make hard link XAS2 to XAS ...
/Users/Shared/AIPS/31DEC08/SYSTEM/UNIX/UNIXSERVERS: line 250: ./XAS2:
Permission denied
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV2 on localhost, display :0
Trying to make hard link TKSRV2 to TEKSRV.EXE ...

and YES, I did remember to setenv DISPLAY localhost:0 , and source LOGIN.CSH .

Normally I would read the aipsmgr hints and curse and futz with the usual
suspects.  But here I'm puzzled because 31DEC07 works just fine!

aips new pr=1 tv=local:0
START_AIPS: Will start a new Unix Socket based TV
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the (no description supplied by
installer)
START_AIPS:  - system name psnet/dup, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
   (Using global default file /Users/Shared/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
    Disk 1 (1) is /Users/Shared/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_2
    Disk 2 (2) is /Users/Shared/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
    Tape 1 is REMOTE
    Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets (new instance) as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC07 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC07) at priority =   0
STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Warning: Using TPMON in TST/CVX, not NEW
UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV3 on localhost
Trying to make hard link in /Users/Shared/AIPS/31DEC07/MACINT/LOAD to
TVSERV.EXE
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS3 on localhost, DISPLAY :0
Trying to make hard link XAS3 to XAS ...
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width height 1430 800, max grey level 255
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   5
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   5
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV3 on localhost, display :0
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
Trying to make hard link TKSRV3 to TEKSRV.EXE ...

I can TVINIT and everything.

Where have I gone wrong???

Thanks --

        Michael